Pages

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Tackle One Thing at a Time

I have been so overwhelmed since the birth of Nathan and even more so with starting our homeschool year. I have the personality that wants to tackle everything and fix it overnight. Unfortunately, that is not realistic. I have decided to take my husband's sage advice and tackle one thing at a time.

I sat down with him and asked, "What is the biggest priority as far as homemaking goes?" He said having dinner at home on a regular basis. We had been eating out more often than usual, which was hurting our budget (not to mention my waistline). So I decided to come up with a doable plan instead of trying to overdo it.

Our plan was to eat at church on Wednesday nights and have one night for takeout. I also wanted to have 1-2 nights for leftovers. So that left me only having to cook a fresh meal 3-4 nights a week. Not bad. So I came up with a monthly meal plan which I shared here - http://organizedhomemaking.blogspot.com/2011/09/monthly-meal-plan.html.

So far it is going great. Having a plan for each month cuts way down on my planning time. Going to the grocery store once a month for a big bulk of our groceries cuts down on time and money spent. Knowing each week what we are going to have for meals cuts down on time and mental energy. It has been great. It also offers me flexibility. For instance, tonight we are going to a funeral and will be eating out, so we take our takeout night and switch it with our pot roast and it's all good.

My next task is to tackle clothing. We need to switch over clothes from summer to fall/winter and I have a ton of clothes I need to go through to get rid of. I am going to tackle it one pile at a time and just work until I get it done.

No comments:

Post a Comment