Pages

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Flexibility and Catching Up

I will admit, I am not the most flexible person. In a perfect world, I would have a perfect schedule for every second of my life, a perfect place for everything that I own, and do everything perfectly. Unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world...quite the opposite. We live in a fallen world. Life can literally change with every breath that we take. We can make plans, but they will have to change (sometimes on a moment to moment basis).

I am trying to learn to be more flexible. The more I pray for flexibility, the more God seems to be giving me opportunities to be more flexible. Go figure. ;) Today we were supposed to start a new block of school after having a week off. Due to overloading my schedule since we got home from the beach (Wednesday night - church, Thursday - CO-OP, Friday - Zoo, Saturday - candle swap at church, and Sunday - Sunday School, worship with kids, church meeting, shower, brought dinner to a friend who had a baby), I wasn't quite as prepared as I would have liked. Then last night, I got super sick and had to lay up most of the day (minus taking Luke to the dentist). Luckily Lee stayed home and helped with the kids while I rested.

Needless to say our house has been in disarray and I wasn't able to homeschool during the day. Well I finally felt better tonight, so I homeschooled at night. It worked out fine. Lee watched Nathan while Luke and I did his school work. Then I got a second wind tonight and was able to clean up the kitchen. I'll attack the rest of the house throughout the week.

I say all of this to say that we can't plan every second of life. Even if we could, how boring would that really be? I try to remember the Scriptures:

Proverbs 3:5-6 - Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths.

Psalm 25:4 - Show me Your ways, Oh Lord, teach me Your paths.

I pray that as I sit down to plan my days, that I am following God's path and will for my life. I try to order my days with priorities that the Lord has given me. Do I fail? Absolutely. Do I try to do it on my own a lot? Definitely. I am thankful for God's grace and that it is sufficient for my every need.

I have also realized that I can catch up when I get behind. I can delegate and delete things that I don't need to do on my own. I try to remember, "Many hands make the work small." If everyone chips in, things get done really quickly and I don't burn out.

I hope some of these tips have helped. I would love to hear your tips on how to be flexible and how you catch up when you get "behind."

No comments:

Post a Comment