Pages

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

A Crazy Pregnant Woman's Freezer Cooking Idea

So I am almost 18 weeks into my twin pregnancy (which is almost halfway to my goal of 37 weeks gestation) and I have been thinking about freezer cooking. Well a few weeks ago, I went on Craigslist and found an upright freezer for $75 and it just so happened the guy lived in my neighborhood. I went to check it out, it worked, I paid him, and he delivered it in about an hour (faster than a pizza sometimes) ;). Now I had no excuse not to do it since I have a huge freezer sitting out in our garage waiting for me to put stuff in it.

I thought about when I should do the freezer cooking and how many meals I should plan to do. I figured that I should definitely do it in the 2nd trimester and crazily thought, I could do it for a few months. Well a few months has turned into 6 months of meals, that way I don't have to cook for the rest of my pregnancy or the first 6 weeks of the babies' lives.

I decided to try and find as many tried-and-true recipes as I could that would freezer cook so we wouldn't be having the same meals over and over again. I came up with 20 recipes using chicken, ground turkey, and pork that were in all genres (pastas, casseroles, baked marinated meats, and other yummy things) and figured I would make 6 of each. That way we have 5 nights of freezer dinners, a night of leftovers, and order in or go out to eat one night (much like what we do on a normal basis).

I am going to do separate posts with the recipes, shopping trip, and how we did the process of prepping and or cooking the meals for the freezer. I don't want this blog post to be too long. I hope you enjoy seeing it done and glean some tips for your first (or next) freezer cooking experience.

2 comments:

  1. I wish you lots of luck on that adventure. I didn't cook meals ahead, but did cook a lot of chicken and shredded. It took me a week just to do that and it was not fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sarah. I think it is smart to do what you did. I would love to know more about what you did with the chicken after you froze it (ie recipes, tips). I am not fully cooking everything. A lot of things will be thaw and bake after freezing (hopefully Lee can handle that). Also, some meals will require side dishes upon cooking (ie rice mixes and veggies). I am hoping it all works out and that Lee can handle all of it even with the extra help. We shall see.

    ReplyDelete