Pages

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Bringing a Meal to Someone

I think one of the nicest things someone can do is bring a meal to a family when they need it. Whether it be a death in the family, the birth of a baby, sickness, or just a nice gesture, bringing a meal is so great. You don't have to grocery shop, prep and make a meal, and clean up the mess. It's great.

After we had Nathan and lost Alexis, people brought us a meal nearly every night for 6 weeks. It was awesome. We only had to go to the store for milk, bread, and fruit for those 6 weeks. Every night some awesome person would come by and bring an entire meal (usually including a salad, main course, bread, and dessert). There was always enough for leftovers. We had sooooo much food. It was awesome.

I love bringing meals to people because I know how much I appreciate and enjoy it. It is so nice to be able to bless another family when they need it.

Here are some tips for bringing a meal:

1) Try to make the food yourself (if you aren't a cook, picking up a meal is just as appreciated).

2) Try to make meals that are pretty simple and basic (not too many "weird" things).

3) If the people have kids, try to bring something kids would eat (we had someone include a few chicken tenders for Luke - that was so nice).

4) Try to bring the meal in throwaway containers if you can (or at least dishes that can be put in the dishwasher). It's nice for the family to not have to hunt you down to return dishes. I like to use those cheap ziploc containers and don't care if I get them back. It's especially helpful if people get a lot of meals to not have to remember who brought which containers.

5) Call ahead and ask what they like or dislike and try to accommodate.

Here are some good meal ideas:

- Meatloaf

- Salisbury steak

- Pot roast

- Chicken casseroles

- Spaghetti

- Baked pasta dishes

What are your tips for bringing meals? Favorite recipes?

4 comments:

  1. I always bring chicken and rice casserole with a spinach and strawberry salad. I always do yeast rolls and brownies too. It's a fail safe meal. Kids and adults will eat chicken and rice bc it's comfort food. Many kids won't eat the salad but the adults love it and u can just pick some strawberries out for the kids to eat. And who doesn't like yeast rolls and brownies?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great meal, Lindsey. I love the idea of the salad with strawberries for kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't realize how important this ministry was until Kendall was born and we were so blessed with meals.

    I usually bring lasagna, salad, bread and dessert. I usually will deviate from this if I'm taking a meal at the end of the time frame (like one of the last days in week 2 of 2 or something). In that case, I'll call and see what they haven't had. I've even done Chinese take out before that was received really well...some fun "junk" food after weeks of healthy home cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree Jennifer. My friends brought chinese one night and ate with us. It was a nice change of pace and fun to visit with friends. I think anything people bring is nice and very appreciated.

    ReplyDelete