Pages

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Sleep

I don't know if you are like me, but I really love sleep. I think my body requires about 8-9 hours to feel really rested. Well since Nathan was born, I don't think I have gotten that but a handful of times. Some days I feel like I would love to take a nap or go to bed early, but something stops me from doing that.

That thing is GUILT.

I feel an immense amount of guilt if I lay down for an hour or two in the afternoon or go to bed early.

Guilt says:

"How can you even think about taking a nap? You have..."
Laundry that needs to be folded and put away
Dinner that needs to be prepped
Straightening up to do
Bible study that needs to be done
Coupons that need to be clipped and filed
Dishes that need to be washed or put away
Cleaning that needs to be done
Bills that need to be paid

"How can you even think about going to bed early? You have..."
Any of the above
To spend time with your husband

I don't know if anyone else ever has these guilt-laden thoughts, but I know that I do.

Well yesterday was one of those days were I was exhausted and should have taken a nap. I didn't get enough sleep the night before. I was out with the kids all morning (doctor's appointment and playdate). But when we got home, guilt set in and told me to unload and reload the dishwasher, change out laundry, straighten up, unload and reload the diaper bag, and do my Bible study.

Well I did those things and then the kids woke up and I was in my rush mode again to get us to church for dinner and Bible study. Nathan usually falls asleep on the way to church but he didn't last night. He fussed and needed to be held so I ate with one hand and didn't finish my dinner. Then Luke miscalculated time and distance and had an accident. We decided that we should just head home, give Luke a bath, put him to bed, and do Nathan's nighttime routine. We got home and did all of that and I decided that guilt wouldn't win and I would go to bed early.

As soon as I laid Nathan down (around 8:30-9:00pm), I got in bed (no TV) and Lee and I both went to bed. God rewarded my effort to go to bed early by having Nathan sleep 12 hours last night (just got up once - Lee fed him). So, I got a good night's sleep and woke up feeling great. I have more energy and a better attitude today.

So, the moral of the story is, get some sleep. Don't let guilt control you.

3 comments:

  1. i'm sure you are thankful to have your husband get up in the middle of the night to feed Nathan when he has to get up and go to work all day with no chance of a nap for him. :) he's a sweet guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post! Sleep is so important! So glad you got to be recharged and refreshed!

    Still waiting for God to reward me - my son is almost 9 months and has never slept for 12 hours before! I feel like such a zombie but just try to do my best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, I am super thankful. Usually Lee will wake Nathan up and feed him sometime between 11 and 12 and then we see how long he will go. If he goes all night then we both get a full night's sleep. If not, I get up with him in the middle of the night and let Lee sleep. Since Lee doesn't go to bed as early as I do it works out pretty good. He got up with him last night around 1 since he fell asleep with me and didn't get up at 11-12. He figured just in case Nathan got up again, I wouldn't have to be up twice. I lucked out and Nathan slept the rest of the night. I am very thankful for my husband. He works hard at his job and when he is at home, he helps me in all kinds of ways.

    Beth, Yes, sleep is important. The experts say we need 8 (I believe it). Nathan went 12 1/2 between 730pm and 800am and only got up at 100am. He didn't do 12 hours straight. Sorry if I wrote that wrong. The most he has gone I think was 8 or 9. That is a lot for some but with our first son, he went 8 every night at 8 weeks and was doing 12 every night at 12 weeks and never looked back. Nathan is a little behind LOL. I look forward to putting him to bed at 8 or 9 and him getting up at 7 or 8. :) I hope your son gives you some good sleep soon!

    ReplyDelete