Pages

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Easy and Inexpensive Homemade Wheat-White Bread

If you ask most people what the top things they buy on a weekly basis at the grocery store are, most (if not all) would say bread. Bread is a staple in most households. Once I started couponing, I started paying more attention to how much I was spending on a loaf of processed bread at the store. It would range from 99 cents for an on-sale store brand to $2.50 or more for a name brand not on sale.

The thing was, I would just pick this item up each week at whatever store I was at and usually paid the $2.50. I thought if I could find a way to make homemade bread at home in an easy and inexpensive way, this could save us at least $1.00 a week. I know that doesn't sound like much, but once you get really good at couponing, this could cover the tax on 14 free items, which essentially means changing one thing to buy 14 other things. Good savings to me.

After looking up a few recipes on the Internet, I found one that showed step-by-step how to perfectly measure and add the ingredients in the bread machine for a delicious loaf of wheat-white bread. Here's the recipe:

Bread Machine Wheat-White Bread

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cup lukewarm water
2 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp oil
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 3/4 cup wheat flour
1 1/4 cup white flour
1 pkg yeast

Bread machine


Put all ingredients in order given into the bread machine*
* Make a small dip in the flour to pour the yeast into
Set the bread machine to "Whole Wheat" and "Medium" crust color
Press "Start"

3 1/2 hours later, you have a beautiful loaf of homemade wheat-white bread that is perfect for sandwiches.

Slice the bread into slices of your desired thickness.

I go ahead and put 2 slices per ziploc bag as when I make Lee a sandwich it goes in there.

I came across 10 pound bags of white flour and 5 pound bags of wheat flour on sale at Super Target for $1.50. I stocked up. I also use a 40 cent coupon (which doubles everyday at Harris Teeter) on the yeast making it 20 cents for a 3-pack. That means a loaf of this bread is 50 cents. I usually make 2 a week bringing our bread total to $1.00, a lot better (and better for us) than $2.50.
I hope you enjoy this tip and recipe. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment