Pages

Monday, January 17, 2011

Teaching Our Children About Thank You Notes

I think that thank you notes are so important. When someone gives you a gift or does something nice for you like bring a meal when you have a baby, I think it is so nice to send a thank you note. They don't have to be long drawn out paragraphs, just a couple of sentences. They don't have to be super deep, just something simple to say "Thanks."

I think it is really important to teach our children to write thank you notes. This year since Luke can write, I decided to have him help me. I pulled out some handwriting sheets and had him put the person's (or in this case persons') name(s) at the top and sign his name at the bottom. Then I filled in the message. As he gets older, he will be writing the notes all by himself.

The ironic thing is that our weekly Bible verse is "be thankful" (Colossians 3:15). It was nice to have a tangible way to teach him what thankfulness is and how to show it.

Here is one of the thank you notes we wrote:

1 comment:

  1. i commend you for having Luke write thank you notes. I am a big fan of them-writing them for gifts big and small-formal or random-but I think it fall under the category of manners, that sadly with people being so busy it often gets forgotten. Thumbs up to you, Ashley!

    ReplyDelete